Monday, March 8, 2010

Hasta Ver Porter Fisher (Until We Meet)

Queridos amigos y familiares,

Definitely not the news I was wanting to hear this week. What can you even say to news like that? I’m convinced there aren’t even words to describe how it feels to lose a son, brother, grandson, friend, etc. especially at such a young age. Porter is an amazing kid and an awesome example for all of us. I have so many great memories growing up with Porter from campout adventures we had to just hanging out at the Fisher house. He was truly a friend to everyone and I don’t think he even had the capacity to have bad feelings towards anyone. Very sad to hear of this tragic accident, and hope you all can pass my love and support on to the Fisher family.

Another tough week here in the Buenos Aires South Mission. The lady that was going to be baptized 2 weeks ago informed us this last week that she will be returning to live in Buenos Aires today (her baptism was rescheduled for this coming Saturday). Luckily she already has friends in the church in her neighborhood and we committed her to find the missionaries and keep preparing for her baptism!

This last week we have also had several of our best investigators drop us. It’s amazing how much and how easy it is to love your investigators and also how much it hurts to see them make wrong decisions and turn away from the gospel. We also dropped several of our investigators who weren´t progressing and had no desires to keep their commitments, and basically we are down to about 5 investigators now. The work is tough, but we are continuing to increase our faith by working hard everyday and doing the best we can. Eventually the blessings will come.

Working with Elder Adair has been a great experience and as with all my companions so far there is a lot to learn from him. He is very bold and direct with people... sometimes to the point of offending people (maybe not such a great thing sometimes). But I have learned a lot from him that I would like to apply throughout my mission. As missionaries we are called to call people to repentance, and sometimes you have to be direct and offend people to do so. We aren’t here to tell people the words they want to hear, we are here to teach people the way God wants us to live, how they can change their lives to live in accordance with His commandments through the Atonement, and the blessings they can receive by doing so. Nephi shows us a great example of being bold in declaring repentance in 1 Nephi 16:1-4

1 And now it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had made an end of speaking to my brethren, behold they said unto me: Thou hast declared unto us hard things, more than we are able to bear.
2 And it came to pass that I said unto them that I knew that I had spoken hard things against the wicked, according to the truth; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; wherefore, the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.
3 And now my brethren, if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it, that ye might walk uprightly before God, then ye would not murmur because of the truth, and say: Thou speakest hard things against us.

Well that is all for this week. I’m headed off to Capital in a couple hours to do more paperwork to be here legally in the country. Luckily we get to take a nice double decker bus with reclining seats for the 5 hour trip. I think we will be staying the night with a Senior Missionary couple in Adrogue, and make the long trip home tomorrow afternoon.

¡Les amo!

Elder Ian Wheelhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment