Monday, July 5, 2010

FW: ¡Feliz 9 de Julio!

Dear family and friends,

Hope you all enjoyed a fantastic 4th of July and all the festivities that come with it! This week Argentina also celebrates 200 years of independence from Spain on the 9th of July. Somehow I think the celebration just won´t be quite the same. The people of Argentina are very prideful of their country, but patriotic... not exactly. I could sure go for a nice firework show and a good american barbeque right now!

Weather wise this past week has actually been very warm, to the point that I had to dig out my short sleeve shirts. A couple overcast days but luckily no rain. (The streets in our area flood really bad when it rains, i´m sure I will get some pictures of it at some point.) I must say the weather here is just as unpredictable as Utah. It´s looking like it will be a pretty mild winter!

Pres. Asay has been home for almost a week now, and Pres. Stapley won´t get here until Thursday due to visa problems. Next week we will be the first zone to have Zone Conference with the new President, so I´m looking forward to getting to know him.

Pretty interesting weekend with Argentina getting eliminated from the World Cup by Germany 4-0. As you can imagine the people were not very happy, and there was much weeping and wailing and gnashing of teeth. Luckily the drunk people were nice enough to ask us if we were Germans, being American just happened to save my life this week! We still had some people yell some pretty nasty stuff at us in English... which makes me think that a lot of the people here think that Germans speak English. I have no doubt the Lord watches over and protects us here each day and I´m grateful for your prayers in our behalf!

We have had some successes in the work this week. One day working in the richer part of our area we were walking down the street and we saw a really cool japanese carving in the door. We decided to "clap it" and talked with an elderly lady who said she had a dream of 2 young men coming to her house to talk to her about God. She has a lot of questions and we are looking forward to meeting with her again this Wednesday. Also this Sunday we had the all to rare occurance of a member actually bringing a friend to church!! (I still don´t know all the members so I had no idea she was even there at first). Luckily another member pointed her out to us and we were able to talk to her and had a great lesson with her on Prayer in Sunday School. We gave her her own Book of Mormon to use during the class which she was pretty excited about, and set a cita to go meet with her and her daughter this Friday. She has already made some other friends in the church as well who offered to come with us to the cita!

In my personal study on Wednesday I started reading through a fresh paperback copy of the Book of Mormon and marking all the names and references of Jesus Christ. From the very first page to the beginning of Mosiah I have only found 1 page that didn´t have a single one. It has really opened my eyes to realize that the book really contains the words of God as given to his prophets, and that they were obedient in writing the things that HE taught them although they didn´t always understand the reason. I have gained a strong testimony and love for the Book of Mormon and hope to continue to "master" it throughout my mission and throughout my life.

Hope you all have a great week!

Les amo
Elder Ian Wheelhouse

No comments:

Post a Comment